Main menu


The relationship of happiness hormone with weight gain


happiness hormone

The relationship of happiness hormone with weight gain

We may find that many of us when exposed to a state of extreme happiness increase our appetite for food and eat many types of foods and in quantities more than the normal rate, but the reason seems unclear to many people, and the reason for this is that the hormone of happiness leads to the desire to eat and thus causes an increase In weight, this is what we will explain to you.

Happiness hormone

The happiness hormone is what is known as serotonin or endorphins. It is a hormone secreted from the brain and leads to a feeling of happiness. It is an antidepressant hormone and has a major role in improving mood and combating depression.

This hormone can be stimulated and increased by eating certain foods, exposure to sunlight and exercise.

Happiness hormone and its relationship to weight gain

Serotonin is a hormone secreted from the brain at a rate of 5% of the total serotonin in the body, and the remaining 95% of this hormone is responsible for regulating the burning of calories in the body through brown fat and brown fat. It is the fat that is stored in the adipose tissue located next to the collar bones, and this type of fat is different from the well-known white fat that is found throughout the body.

Scientific studies have proven that brown fat has a major role in burning calories and increasing the human metabolism rate, and the presence of this fat in the body decreases with age, and some researchers have found that the peripheral serotonin hormone makes this brown fat less effective because diets Which contain a proportion of fats that increase the secretion of the hormone serotonin, which works to inhibit these fats.

Obesity and depression

Some experiments were conducted on mice that carry some serotonin-producing enzymes in the body, and they found that these mice were more resistant to sugar and some liver diseases . That they had a low level of the hormone serotonin and therefore did not suffer from obesity, diabetes or cirrhosis of the liver.

But scientists are still unable to answer some questions, such as what is the relationship between depression and obesity, or the increased appetite for food and the level of serotonin in the body? And they are still not sure where the serotonin hormone production begins, which slows down brown fat. If the serotonin hormone is properly used to get rid of excess weight, this will be better and safer than other weight reduction methods.

Ways in which we can maintain the level of serotonin in the blood

  1.  Eat some foods that work to maintain the level of serotonin in the blood, such as fats, proteins and carbohydrates. It is preferable to eat more fish because it increases the level of serotonin in the body.
  2.  It is possible to do exercises that help the formation of serotonin and give the body a feeling of energy and activity.
  3.  We must remember the happy memories that we went through, because just thinking about things that may improve the mood, this increases the rate of the serotonin hormone in the brain and reduces the feeling of stress.
  4. There are some foods that increase the production of this hormone in the body, such as mussels , spinach, avocados, eggs, dark chocolate, legumes, nuts, yogurt, and other foods that increase the production of serotonin.